When you’ve been with someone for a long time, it might seem a bit boring. You run out of topics to talk about and questions to ask, thinking that you’ve talked about everything there is. Shallow conversations and gossip simply aren’t amusing anymore. Talking about the weather and how’s someone’s day has been will not satisfy you at one point in the relationship.
Also, when you’ve met someone new, topics and questions might not come your way that easily. I know that sometimes asking deep questions when you’ve just met someone isn’t something you would do but think about it. By asking deep questions, the person you’re talking to will see you as an open-minded, intelligent individual.
For this same reason, we have for you here some deep questions to ask someone when you’re trying to explore their mind a little more. Remember that some people won’t be so happy to talk about these topics so try to understand their position but these questions really do help you get to know someone’s mind.
Reminder: Some people won’t be able to understand these types of questions and you shouldn’t bother explaining them to them. If they want to participate in the conversation then fine but don’t try to make anyone answer these questions and don’t wait forever for their responses.
Deep questions to ask:
1. If you could travel to any era, where would you go?
2. Would you leave your country right now and move somewhere else?
3. What’s your philosophy of life?
4. What’s your perception of God?
5. Do you know the difference between being religious and spiritual and which one are you?
6. Are you an introvert or extrovert and how do you know?
7. If there was one thing you could change about yourself right now, what would it be?
8. If you could fix one problem in this world, what would it be?
9. If you only had one week left to live, what would you do?
10. What advice would you give to your younger self?
11.If your home was on fire and you had enough time to save three things, what would they be?
12. If you had three wishes, what would they be?
13. What event would you rather die in than live through?
14. In your opinion, why do people stay in toxic relationships?
15. Which parent are you closer to and why?
16. What was the one experience that changed your life?
17. What makes you feel accomplished?
18. What was the best phase of your life?
19. What was the worst phase of your life?
20. You see your neighbors abusing their child, what do you do?
21. If you could invite three people to dinner (from anywhere in the world) who would they be?
22. If you could have one superpower, which one would you choose?
23. If a crystal ball could tell you the future, what would you want to know?
24. What’s your favorite thing about yourself?
25. What’s your least favorite thing about yourself?
26. When things break, do you fix them or replace them?
27. What do you consider to be a perfect day?
28. What does it mean to you to kiss someone on the first date?
29. Would you consider yourself materialistic?
30. What would the perfect you look like?
31. Do you think that our treatment of animals is cruel?
32. What is the most worthwhile goal a person can dedicate their life to?
33. What would you sacrifice your life for?
34. How do you see me?
35. What feeling do you experience the most?
36. What annoys you the most about people?
37. What makes you feel loved?
38. Do you love yourself?
39. What is a dream you’ve had that you have never said out loud?
40. What is a relationship deal-breaker for you?
41. Are you more into looks or brains?
42. Would you ever take a cheater back?
43. What kind of parent do you think you will be?
44. Do you usually stay friends with your exes?
45. What stops people from understanding themselves?
46. Why is depression so stigmatized in our society?
47. Is technology making us dumber or smarter?
48. Is free will real or just an illusion?
49. What harsh truth do you prefer to ignore?
50. In your opinion, what is the meaning of life and why are we all here?
51. Is it possible to live a life without lies?
52. What should be the goal of humanity?
53. Would you want to be immortal without the ability to ever kill yourself and why?
54. What actions in your life will have the longest reaching consequences?
55. How long will you be remembered after you die?
56. If we found out that there really was intelligent life in space, how would you react? How would humanity react?
57. Is suffering a normal part of our life and how would someone who’s never suffered look?
58. If we were all focusing on the good things that happened to us instead of the bad ones, how would our lives change?
59. What benefits does art provide society?
60. How do you think the human species will become instinct?
61. Would you want to know when you’ll die?
62. Does the study of philosophy lead to answers or just more questions?
63. Do you think that a woman should be modest to be respected?
64. What would a world without war look like?
65. What are the biggest obstacles that we face while achieving our goals?
66. Why are so many people in the world lonely?
67. Do you have a fear of commitment?
68. What keeps you up at night?
69. What do parents do that screws up their kids?
70. Why do people pay so much attention to the beauty of others when it has no functional purpose?
71. Is it better to be informed about everything or just about a few things so that you can sleep better at night?
72. What is more useful, intelligence or wisdom?
73. Are your beliefs justified and if so, which ones?
74. What do you contribute to society?
75. What are you most grateful for?
76. What have you learned from your past relationships?
77. When have you felt your biggest adrenaline rush?
78. Does your job make you happy and why?
79. In your opinion, is it more important to help yourself, help your family and friends, help society or to help the whole world?
80. What are you capable of achieving?
81. Can human nature be changed and how should it look in your opinion?
82. Do you think that you are replaceable and why?
83. Do you think that life in general has no purpose and that we are living with no reason at all, or that every individual has the right to find their own purpose and reason for life?
84. How important is health to you?
85. If you could go to a psychologist right now, what would you first talk with them about?
86. Do you have to have a reason for knowledge to say that it’s valuable?
87. Do you think that our educational systems destroys our creativity?
88. What is the biggest waste of human potential?
89. Do you think that there are negative emotions, taking into consideration that every emotion has its purpose?
90. Does jealousy, as an emotion, have value?
91. Have you ever felt truly alive and if so, when and how did it exactly feel?
92. What do you think your future self will remember about you now?
93.Keeping in mind that knowing yourself has been the root of all philosophy and psychology, what do you think the aspects of yourself are which are more important than others or do you think that all self-knowledge is equally important?
94. Do you think that our rationality is more important than our emotions and why?
95. If our universe had a border, what do you think would be outside of it?
96. In your opinion, what is the best way to find truth, out of art, philosophy or math?
97. Is there any order in nature or is it just chaos and chance?
98. Is there anything in life that is just objective?
99. In your opinion, is happiness something more than just chemicals flowing through our brain?
100. How do you define consciousness?
101. How conscious do you think animals are?
102. How do you define genius?
103. What is more frightening to you, either to think that humans really are the most intelligent species in our universe or to know that we are nowhere even near intelligence?
104. There is a low chance that all of your beliefs are true, and with that in mind, which of your beliefs could be wrong, do you think?
105. How much does a bilingual brain affect our thinking?
106. If all your memories of bad situations in your life would be erased, what kind of person would you be?
107. Does time exist or is it just a concept that humans made up because it is easier to control people this way?
108. Would you be able to make something completely new without involving any previous experience into it?
109. If Heaven was real and you died tomorrow, would you get in?
110. If you went to Hell, into which circle would you go?
111. If you had the ability to erase something from your past, what would it be?
112. If you could have anyone else’s life, which one would you take?
113. What fictional character do you most relate to and why?
114. If I asked you at age 5 what you would be when you grew up, what would you tell me?
115. What is your biggest irrational fear?
116. Is there something you regret doing and if so, what?
117. Do you believe in reincarnation and if we really did have past lives, who do you think you were and what were you doing?
118. If you died tomorrow, what would you regret not doing?
119. What is your biggest accomplishment in life?
120. What is the strangest dream you ever had?
121. What are the darkest things you’ve thought about but never told anyone?
122. Have you ever experienced anything paranormal?
123. Is there something that calms you when you get frightened?
124. What is your favorite quote from a book and why and did it somehow change your view on the world or yourself?
125. Was there a moment in your life where you thought of yourself as a failure?
126. Have you ever thought about life after death and if there is anything beyond this right here?
127. What do you think is inside the mind of a suicidal person?
128. Is there some harsh truth you choose to ignore?
129. What was the biggest lie you’ve told in a relationship?
130. Have you been in love and I don’t mean in love with a person, but with a memory or a flower, something small but significant?
131. What was the reason for the last time you cried?
132. When was the last time you hurt someone, broke their heart or something similar, and what did you do?
133. Think about the people you love the most in your life, what do you do for them to make them feel loved and appreciated?
134. Have you ever questioned your sanity and why?
135. How would you react if you one day woke up and realized that it was all a dream or a long hallucination and when you woke up you were somewhere else, not on planet earth but somewhere in the universe, an unknown place and would you tell anyone?
136. Have you ever had dreams about your past lives?
137. Do you have any recurring nightmares?
138. In your opinion, how would the world react and look if we had irrefutable evidence that a God didn’t exist?
139. What do you think was there before our universe came to be?
140. Do you believe in other dimensions and parallel universes?
141. Does your zodiac sign describe you, do you believe in astrology at all and why?
142. If you had to choose, would you rather love or be loved?
143. Déjà vu: is there something more to it than coincidence?
144. If you could choose how to die, what would you pick?
145. If you had to, which two of these would you pick from attraction, emotional connection, intellectual stimulation or lifestyle compatibility?
146. Do you think that men are more rational than women?
147. Do you think that women are equal to men?
148. If you could have any animal in this world as your pet, which one would you have?
149. If you had one million dollars, what would you do with them?
150. If you could be the president in your country and you only had the ability to change one rule, what would it be?
151. Be honest with this one, has someone else’s pain made you feel joy?
152. If you could choose between becoming a zombie and dying, which one would you choose?
153. Which mythical creature would you want to be?
154. Name one bad quality you wouldn’t mind in a partner?
155. Do you regret any of your past relationships and if so, why?
156. What is the most romantic thing you have ever done for someone?
157. What is the deepest question you have asked someone?
158. What’s your mantra that gets you through every day?
159. Is there any case where you would justify taking a human life?
160. Without religion, would people be more, less or equally morally corrupt?
161. What human rights would you give everyone, no matter their age?
162. Why do people expect a universe full of randomness to be fair?
163. What traits have you earned from your parents and do you like them?
164. What would be the most ethical way to give away two million dollars?
165. Is privacy a right?
166. Should there be a limitation on the right to free speech and why?
167. What kind of punishment would you give to someone who abuses children?
168. Should women be given the right to kill their abusers and why or why not?
169. Why do humans often associate beauty with morality?
170. How do the cartoons we watch as children affect our perspective on reality?
171. Can you say that your parents have made mistakes while raising you and why or why not?
172. How do you define evil?
173. Does every person alive, no matter how good or bad, have the same rights in life or are some lives more valuable than others?
174. If you could start a country from scratch, what would it be, what laws would it have and who would live there?
175. In your opinion, what causes the most damage to our world and is there any way we can avoid it?
176. How would the world look without money?
177. What would happen if we created a society where no one had to work but everyone would be provided with enough food, water and everything that was needed for a normal life?
178. If everyone said what they were thinking, what would our society look like?
179. If you could have one superpower what would it be, would you use it to help humanity and if yes, then how?
180. What would be some questions you would ask a boy/girl on a first date?
181. How does social media affect our society and is it in bad or positive ways?
182. Can a society live without law?
183. Do you have a favorite conspiracy theory and if yes, which one is it?
184. Is technological progress inevitable or can it be stopped?
185. If we could control emotions through technology, should we?
186. Is there something you haven’t told anyone and if so, why didn’t you tell them?
187. Are you pro-choice or pro-life?
188. Do you think that the way someone looks on the outside describes them on the inside as well?
189. Is there anything too serious to be joked about?
190. Would you rather live a longer life that would be boring or a shorter life that was full of adventures?
191. What’s something that overwhelms you?
192. What are some things that you take for granted?
193. Do you regret not listening to your parents when you were younger and why?
194. What does your ideal life look like?
195. What was the greatest day in your life and why?
196. What obstacles are you currently trying to overcome?
197. If you had to get a tattoo right now, what would it be and why?
198. What is the one thing you can’t live without?
199. What would you do if you weren’t scared of the consequences?
200. What inspires you to wake up every morning and do your best every single day?
201. What do you consider to be the most beautiful things in life and why?
202. Which is more important, what you say or the way you say it?
203. Would you trust anyone with your life?
204. What is something you are certain that you will never experience?
205. What impression do you try to give when you’re first meeting someone?
206. How would your perfect partner treat you?
207. What would you say to someone who just experienced a break-up?
208. Would you say that you care too much about people and why or why not?
209. What are you excessively obsessive-compulsive about?
210. What is your way to shut down a narcissist?